Monday, July 2, 2012

FRIEND SPAMING

One of the things that I have become (begrudgingly) used to in forums and networking groups is the overwhelming number of ads I see. Now, I am not talking about people posting ads as forum content, I am referring to ads sent as a personal message after friendship has been accepted, or as an invitation itself.

I don't know about you, but I join forums and networks to meet people; people I can share ideas with. I definitely do not join them to meet business opportunities or sales pitches from strangers who have asked me to be their friend. That is not networking. That is advertising; poor advertising.



System emailer's are not ad blasters; at least they weren't meant to be. Sadly, that is what they've become in many places.

In one particular forum, after having posted of my home dilemma and asking for help through a $5.00 purchase of my book, I have suffered a deluge of business opportunity offers that I had never imagined possible. It really freaks me out, and this is why:

I wrote about the fact that I am about to be a foreclosure statistic. My husband is unemployed due to the housing market collapse, and these folks seem to think I have money to invest in a program, or opportunity. I'm having trouble keeping Cheerios on the table and a roof over that table, and I'm supposed to invest (what?) in the latest greatest...

Now, not everyone has responded with such out-thereness, and I appreciate every last person who has helped me in my mission to save my house. There have been many who have answered my call, and to you: I think you're totally awesome! Thank you! Some of you have bought my book and even liked it! Some of you are promoting my book along with me, even though there is no commission in it for you. Some of you have done both. I love you all. I couldn't ask for better friends than you.

To those of you who are enjoying the paperback version, please let me know what you think of the book itself. The quality of the printing. I think the printers did a good job, but my opinion doesn't matter here; yours does.

I have a goal to sell 30,000 copies of the book I self-published last year. When I do this, unless it takes too long, I will be able to save my home, and fix my car. I may also be able to send a little cash to my 19 year old son, for college expenses. (He just lost his job too, when the price of copper fell, the mine started laying off.)

So I am flat broke, and people think it is helpful to send me offers to spend money? I just don't get it. Why did they invite me to be friends? Why do they read what I write? Do they even read it, or just skim through it to make sure I'm not their competition?

Networking is about building relationships with like-minded people; it's about learning and sharing information; its not about selling. Get to know those you invite to be friends. Get to know those who have invited you to be friends; the people, not the products. You might learn something, or help someone else. Now, that's networking.

It's not about the number of friends you have, it is about the quality of the friends you have. To have good quality friends, you must first be a quality friend.

By my Friend: Trina L.C. Sonnenberg

No comments:

Post a Comment